CAVA is a rapidly expanding fast-casual restaurant and CPG brand focusing on fresh, Mediterranean-inspired, better-for-you cuisine. Born from our full-service restaurants, our chef-driven fast-casual format operates in four states with further expansion ahead.
We are looking for a thoughtful and analytical Sr. Data Scientist to help implement our vision at our corporate headquarters in Washington, DC. The position will report to the Chief Data Scientist, and will require a passion for using data to improve the way people interact with CAVA, awareness of emerging technology, and the ability to leverage disparate data streams within multiple internal core functions to holistically enhance business processes and guest experience.
Our ideal candidate will be comfortable in a fluid start-up environment and will bring an energetic, fun and creative approach to their work. You have experience building real products in the real world from the ground up, as well as have extensive research experience dealing with large datasets. You are able to communicate effectively with your teammates, who see you as a leader, and go to you with their toughest problems. You're comfortable jumping in the deep end, learning new skills on a bleeding edge platform, and pushing out tons of high quality work fast.
- Work closely with cross-functioning teams of analysts, engineers, operations specialist, and finance analyst who are passionate about the success of CAVA.
- Develop a deep understanding of how technology, food and stores influence consumer behavior.
- Be a speaking partner to different teams and give recommendations when needed.
- Work from our office in beautiful downtown Washington, DC
You have some of these, but not necessarily all of these:
- Must have a working knowledge of postgresql, mysql or other open source databases
- You know how to understand and solve loosely defined problems and come up with relevant answers and actionable insights to guide our business decisions
- You are experienced with a degree in computer science, economics, statistics, or mathematics.
- You have a deep understanding of math, as well as a strong business sense.
- You care about working with and programming big data systems
- You have the technical competence to perform advanced analytics: Coding skills (such as Python, Java, or Scala) and experience performing analysis with large datasets, analytics tools experience (Pandas, R, SQL, Hadoop, or Excel)
- You possess statistical competence; demonstrated experience with hands-on statistical modeling (such as regression modeling, a/b testing, significance testing etc), knowledge about machine learning (such as predictive modeling, decision trees, classification models, clustering techniques)
- Exposure to developer tools/workflow (e.g., git/github, *nix, SSH).
- Experience troubleshooting operations issues.
- Experience with AWS ecosystem (EC2, S3, RDS, Redshift).
- Experience with business intelligence tools with a physical model layer.
- Exposure to NoSQL-based, SQL-like technologies (e.g., Hive, Pig, Spark SQL/Shark, Impala, BigQuery).
- Experience teaching.
- 3+ years experience as a data scientist or data engineer a plus
- Self-Starter, a belief that it can be built rather than bought.
- A competitive base salary.
- Benefits package including health, unlimited PTO, 401K, and free CAVA food!
- The opportunity to be on the ground floor of helping craft the vision of a rapidly growing brand while laying the foundation to build your team from the ground up.
CAVA – joining “A culture, not a concept™”
Where is the role?
What kind of role is it?