Use your web services skills helping scientists understand the most complex system in the universe, the human brain!
OMNITEC Solutions, Inc., has multiple employment opportunities available for mid-level Java Developers in Rockville, Maryland (20850). As defined in our press release, OMNITEC has been awarded a 5-year contract to expand its model research data sharing / computational science infrastructure (see data-archive.nimh.nih.gov/ ) in support of neurosciences research at the NIH.
This is an unprecedented opportunity to use your skills helping advance our understanding of the human brain by building data services infrastructure directly supporting neurosciences research. You will be working with a Java Web stack, Oracle RDBMS, AWS, command line tools, and much more, enabling data from billions of dollars in investment in autism, depression, suicide prevention, PTSD, substance abuse, alcoholism, etc. to be made securely available to scientists from around the world. Few other jobs will have as impactful a mission and provide the opportunity for professional growth using the latest tools and technologies. Apply below to join our results driven team.
All candidates must be US citizens and able to pass an MBI/Public Trust investigation in order to access federal job sites and systems. DC/MD/VA metropolitan area based candidates preferred for easier access to team meetings, but other locations will be considered.
Duties and Responsibilities
Your primary responsibilities will involve designing and building web services on top of an existing Java enterprise application. Having a robust services-oriented architecture is critical to the project’s current and future success, which must scale to accommodate increased numbers of users, data volume and size, and be capable of integrating with other research infrastructure.
In order to support our complex computational and data environments, you will work in a collaborative team across all levels of the project. Past experience working with medical or scientific data is a plus as is a commitment to help improve the lives of those affected by mental illness or substance abuse.
The ideal candidate will be highly self-motivated, capable of working independently, but comfortable in a collaborative team environment. Previous experience in a distributed development environment is preferred. While solid object-oriented foundation and experience are expected, exemplary candidates will be able to apply new tools and techniques to solve a variety of problems or advance new initiatives.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field and 3+ years of related professional experience, or 5+ years proven related experience;
- 2+ years Java experience;
- 2+ years SQL/PLSQL experience;
- 1+ years direct experience designing and/or developing RESTful web services;
- 1+ years working in a Linux environment, with proven experience writing and using shell scripts and the shell environment;
- Excellent verbal and written communication;
- US citizenship and ability to pass an MBI/Public Trust investigation.
- Motivation to use computational science to accelerate our understanding of mental health and the neurosciences;
- Spring (especially SpringBoot and SpringCloud), Hibernate, and Maven;
- Oracle or similar RDBMS;
- Git version control;
- Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Docker, Zuul/Eureka, Bamboo;
- Scripting languages (i.e., Java Script, Python, or Bash/Shell); Distributed computing;
- Familiarity working with large datasets.
Please apply via this website or:
OMNITEC Solutions, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability, gender, gender identity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Where is the role?
Rockville MD 20850 (up to 50% Telework Possible!)
What kind of role is it?
Any restrictions on who can apply?
US citizenship and the ability to pass a Minimal Background