CEB, now Gartner Talent Assessment is seeking an experienced data scientist to help our Algorithmic Analytics R&D program. The Managing Research Scientist will lead and inspire a team of data scientists, data engineers, and social scientists working directly with product management and technology leaders to develop new-to-world algorithmic models and solutions to support clients’ assessment and selection challenges. In this “hands on” role, the leader will actively participate in the creation of new models using innovative methods and multiple forms of data. The leader will also regularly engage with analytic and data experts, business leaders, and academics on the frontier of talent analytics.
The Managing Research Scientist will be responsible for research and development efforts to identify potential applications of algorithmic analytics for CEB’s Talent Assessment business. Central to the leader’s objectives will be conceptualizing and testing analytic solutions that answer the most challenging talent management questions with the best available data and with the leading edge analytical techniques, including natural language processing. The leader will manage the development of algorithmic models and approaches that are simultaneously innovative, sophisticated, practical, efficient, and impactful. The leader will manage a team of data and research scientists and analysts tasked with growing the firm’s algorithmic analytics and natural language processing capabilities into new directions – largely through innovative “proof of concept” projects and applied research with CEB client data.
Ultimately the leader and their team will contribute to efforts to scale and transfer their work into talent assessment solutions and insights for clients’ HR executives and their staff. As such, the leader will need to work closely with CEB’s product managers, IT teams, and client service teams to develop and deliver high-quality analytic solutions.
In summary, the Managing Research Scientist will:
- Conceptualize, prioritize, and lead business-critical algorithmic analytics “R&D” initiatives
- Design, manage, coach and personally conduct (as required) research using multiple methods and analytical techniques (machine learning, natural language processing, etc.) as necessary to answer critical talent assessment questions of strategic and tactical importance.
- Align and transfer developed algorithmic capabilities, models, and insights to CEB’s lines of business.
- Identify the data, technology and skill requirements necessary to build our algorithmic analytics capability (and data assets) within the Talent Assessment business.
- Manage (and grow over time) a dedicated, global team to conduct algorithmic analytics and support algorithmic product development across the firm.
In addition, CEB places a premium on internal collaboration and “network performance.” The leader will be expected to work with other senior leaders to achieve key business objectives.
- Advanced degree in a quantitative, research-oriented discipline, with experience developing algorithmic solutions with business leaders.
- Preferred: PhD in Statistics, Computer Science, or Computational Linguistics with a proven record in applied quantitative research, modeling, and/or analytics.
- Considered: PhD in Operations Research, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or the Social Sciences with a proven record in applied quantitative research, modeling, and/or analytics. OR Masters Degree + 8 - 10 years of relevant experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of applied experience using analytics and data science to support business decisions, including experience modeling complex business, policy or “management” problems.
- Expertise in multiple, quantitative research and analytic methods, including natural language processing, machine learning, predictive analytics, applied statistics, and causal modelling.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience building models with both structured and unstructured data, with a preference for experience in building data sets through multiple sources, aligning disparate data sets, and working with large data sets.
- Advanced proficiency in R and/or Python programming, and intermediate proficiency in at least 2 of Spark, Tableau, or MicroStrategy and at least 2 Python packages such as Matplotlib, Pandas, PySpark, or Scikit-learn.
- Ability to translate business/product objectives into actionable analyses is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work with IT technologists to develop production-grade solutions
- Ability to communicate findings and recommendations to executive and expert audiences in reports and presentations is required.
- Experience and demonstrated success managing a multi-disciplinary team and/or a cross-functional team.
Level and Reporting Relationships
The leader will report to the Product R&D Research Leader. The leader will eventually manage a team of 5 or more data scientists and will be based in CEB’s Arlington, VA office.
More on CEB and the Talent Assessment Group
CEB, now Gartner, is a best practice insight and technology company. We have a unique view into what matters—and what works—when driving corporate performance. With more than 30 years of experience working with top companies to share, analyze, and apply proven practices, we deliver innovative solutions that help you unlock your full potential.
Where is the role?
What kind of role is it?