The Center for Construction Research and Training is conducting a national search to fill the position of Research Scientist - Knowledge Translation a full-time position to be based at CPWR’s headquarters in Silver Spring, MD (a suburb of Washington, DC).
CPWR is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit institution that over the past 26 years has planned, developed, and operated a National Center for Construction Safety and Health dedicated to improving safety and health performance in the construction industry. While initially created by construction unions, CPWR’s mission as an organization, as stated in its Articles of Incorporation, is to improve safety and health conditions for all construction workers. CPWR’s construction programs are funded through large, multi-year cooperative agreements with Federal Government agencies, including CDC/NIOSH, NIH/NIEHS, and DOE.
CPWR is currently the NIOSH-funded National Construction Research Center. In this capacity it carries-out a large number of construction safety and health research projects internally and also funds a network of university-based consortium partners/sub-grantees. Please refer to CPWR’s main website, www.cpwr.com, for more information about CPWR’s construction research and other industry safety and health programs. Description CPWR’s research to practice (r2p) team is responsible for developing a body of research on effective translation, dissemination, and implementation research as well as communication strategies, to advance the use of evidenced-based safety and health interventions to reduce occupational injuries and illnesses in the construction industry. The selected candidate will report directly to CPWR’s r2p Director and will collaborate with an outstanding team of other CPWR directors and staff. Some national and local travel will be required.
Where is the role?
What kind of role is it?
- PhD in public health, marketing, or health communications with experience in translating research findings into useable materials for targeted end-users
- Experience in research design and evaluation methods as well as developing monitoring and evaluations systems
- Experience using both qualitative and quantitative research methods including developing and administering surveys, conducting focus groups and phone interviews, and analyzing collected data using analytic software programs
- Proven ability to think critically and strategically, and to engage with internal and external stakeholders to identify and achieve common goals • Some track record of publishing in peer-reviewed journals and successful grant writing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail and adherence to project timelines, deliverables, administrative duties and reporting requirements • Knowledge of the construction industry and/or experience translating research to practice a plus Responsibilities Specific Duties:
- Conduct process and impact evaluation of r2p aims outlined in CPWR cooperative agreement
- Develop translational products and materials for use by industry stakeholders in an effort to advance research to practice • Prepare and submit articles to peer reviewed journals.
- Assist with preparing progress reports and annual continuation applications to NIOSH, and in developing and writing research project proposals for inclusion in CPWR’s overall competitive Construction Center application to NIOSH every five years • Develop content and conduct targeted webinars
- Prepare and present results of r2p initiatives at professional and construction trade meetings and conferences
CPWR engages employees without regard to race, nationality, color, religion, creed, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristics. All who believe they meet the job qualifications and responsibilities are encouraged to apply. Compensation Package Salary is based on qualifications and prior experience as related to the position. CPWR offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid leave, employer paid health/dental/vision insurance, an employer paid Defined Benefit Pension Plan, and a 401(k) Plan.
CPWR provides an excellent work environment located in downtown Silver Spring, MD near the metro and public parking. Timing of Appointment Initial consideration of candidates for the appointment will begin immediately. Application Instructions A CV and cover letter addressed to CPWR’s Executive Director (Chris Cain) should be emailed only to email@example.com. The cover letter should describe your experiences relevant to the job description outlined above and any previous construction-related research experience. Due to volume, no phone calls please. CPWR will contact eligible applicants.